Monday, December 29, 2008

feelings

You know feelings.. like pain. Pain is the feeling I have at present. Pain in my leg and periodically a pain in my ass, but the latter can't really be blamed on my running. I had a re x-ray of the broken leg that is no longer broken. Yay for small victories. Bones do heal. Even mine. So the doc sent me for the x-ray . I might add that the dep was the driving force behind the x-ray in the first place.  Anyway doc sent me for the repeat of the repeat of the repeat xray to see what there was to see inside my flesh. I hope that radiation doesn't harm your bones or cause some morphing at the cellular level because I might be becoming the Hulk or something. Hey wait.. that might improve my running. Hm.

 Well the result of the x-ray was a waste of two hours that I could have been running but never the less, good to have the knowledge I guess that my leg is healed and looks fine despite continued pain. I'm asking myself now... why am I worried about this little pain when I ran for three weeks on  a broken fibula? t=The simple answer is, well... simple. I ran for three weeks on a broken fibula. I don't want to re-break my leg. I ran for three weeks in complete denial and ended up with something a lot worse than just a little stress fracture. So lesson learned is.. denial is not a river in Egypt. It IS rather, a place where I like to frequent, especially as it pertains to my running. So I did the only sensible thing. I read my own x-ray, cause I'm moonlighting as a radiologist,  and then came home and ran an easy four miles.

My run today was sluggish. I don't know if this is because I'm feeling the five pounds that I need to lose (or maybe 10) or if my legs are just tired from not running for a few days. I'm feeling generally tight in my hips and calves and kind of irritable about not being able to just hit the ground running so to speak.  It could just as easily be attributed to my morale issues as I am becoming increasing frustrated with the Nike + whose accuracy I doubt. Oh it would be easy enough to just run to my 70% RPE )rate of perceived exertion) but then how would I know my pace for training and ultimately improving time. I mean my first order of business for the SF marathon is to cross the finish line alive, after that it would be to do it in some time frame that is at least predictable. Now I  might predict that it's going to take me 7 hours but at least I can know if I'm on target to finish in the predicted 7 hours. In any case, it's more of a case of me just being generally irritable that something isn't working like it should. I tried to calibrate to thing again at 400 meters and it told me that the distance I ran didn't match 400 meters. The only explanation I have for that is 1. I'm just so fast it thinks I'm flying or 2. (the more likely scenario) I'm so slow it thinks I'm crawling. Insulting. I mean is a 10 minute mile THAT slow? OK it is. I know but I'm trying to teach the thing to recognize MY marathon pace not my sisters sprinter pace. Ugh. Technology. Blessing and frustration. This would be one of those times I'd call on the software engineers I know and say, fix it. Please.

The good news is that I'll be buying myself a Garmin before you know it. I'm going to lose 10 pounds. Just cause I want to see what happens. Maybe my stomach will magically melt away in ten more pounds. Probably not but I think I'd better lose it just to be sure. And my 'trainer' who might also be known as my husband has devised a little reward program. For everyday on track with my weight loss and training routine, in to the jar goes $5. At some point soon I'll be implementing the Garmin and then we'll know just what the Nike+ is made of.

0 comments: