Friday, February 6, 2009

Yoga to live. Live to yoga.

I might have to change the name of this blog because if I keep running I'm probably going to injure all the parts that are required for running and thus be unable to run. Yesterday morning I did 3.5 on the elliptical which is safe but not really much like running. Last night I did 2.5 ish on the treadmill which I hate. Essentially I spend whatever length of time I am on said treadmill cursing silently and praying that I do not die. I realize I'd pass out and fall off before I'd die but still with my luck I'd probably hit my head on the way down and the paper would read something like this: Local Woman Dies in Tragic Treadmill Accident Because She INSISTS on Running Despite Warnings to the Contrary ... OK it wouldn't say that because that is waaay too long but in any case, in this little town it would probably be front page. Then people would feel bad, but inside they'd be laughing because of how ridiculous it is to run yourself to death. 

Anyway, I've found that I really love yoga. I'm a quick mover and a busy all around gal and yoga, in the right setting, puts me in touch with myself and the earth which I enjoy. I might preface this by saying, I tried to dance as a kid. I took all the classes that were feasibly taken. Ballet. Jazz. Tap. New age blah blah something. And... I sucked. I sucked at all of them. Or maybe I just felt like I sucked but either way I didn't stay in the classes, probably because my mother was too drunk to drive me. Come to think of it, she might have been the one who told me I sucked so that she could drink INSTEAD of drive me. Well, it's all tequila under the bridge. But I didn't stick with it as it were and I always wished I had. It's my one adult regret. I want to be a ballerina. Mostly cause I like leotards and little skirts. But I'm too short, because I think a height of 5'8" minimum is required to even TRY to dance much less succeed. And I'm kind of clumsy. Like fall UP the stairs clumsy. That makes yoga a good choice. Well not Bikram so much but Vinyasa for sure. If you move slow enough you probably won't hurt yourself. Plus the clothes for yoga are comfortable and it's a good excuse to not wear a bra.

0 comments: